Thursday 29 August 2013

Indigo Knits

I have been working with my 1950's sock knitter for almost a year now. I took off the heel function and have been knitting tubes. Cashmere, wool, cotton, silk and linen. Looking for something that felt right. Not just texture wise but something I would want to work with. (Jean, I should have listened to you from the start. Linen is magic. Indigo dyed linen is sublime.)



The machine knits two thin linen threads and a cotton thread beautifully. 70% linen and 30% cotton. I take the tubes and stencil dye on them. I will be having an exhibition in Vancouver in October. It has been a long time since I spent time near the ocean.Waves and more waves.  Some of them are Edo period (mid 1800's). They are easy to find at antique markets and can be re-lacquered and netted and used. I drew and cut out some others, seaweed and drooping branches over the water. After dyeing the tubes in indigo ten and sometimes twenty times in indigo, the paste is removed and I re-stencil a different pattern on the linen. Then the tubes are dyed seven times in persimmon tannin. Placed in the sun every morning to absorb the UV rays and turn a crisp brown. The second pasting is removed and the tubes are cut up and sewn  back up on my old industrial overlocker.














22 comments:

  1. linen is awesome and the combination linen ai goes beyond awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like putting a sign next to the indigo vat. "Linen Only Please."

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thank you margery. they are in your palette of colours. b

      Delete
  3. Wowzers. These are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just fabulous, what a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so brilliant it took me forever to figure out what to do with that sock knitter. (Knitting socks never occurred to me.)

      Delete
  5. Bryan - Those are amazing! I remember you showing me those back in June on my last visit but these are just excellent. I can totally see the hours of hard work you put into those hopefully everyone else will. Cant wait to see more, feels like I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted,
      They are coming along. The Dyeing season for persimmon is almost over. Next summer I will make some more. I want to make some mens shirts out of these. Come and give me a hand.
      b

      Delete
  6. Beautiful stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - I can't wait to see/feel these pieces, the idea is brilliant. I have been trying to leave comments but blogger has blocked everything. think I have them outsmarted! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you took them to another level! They are gorgeous! Love the addition of persimmon dye on it ;) - mini

    ReplyDelete
  9. bryan, it's lovely to see where you've taken the old machinery and stencils. i love the juxtaposition of peace and pattern in the work. (i wish i could see your exhibition!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Velma...I have been so busy and grabbing a few hours here and there to work on this project. I was surprised when the work was finished on the table.... how did it happen? Progress was incremental. Two steps forward and five backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is there a word for for that? backrimental? increbackwards?

      Delete
  11. There are now. I'll use them three times a day for a month. Hopefully they will catch on. Preparing for Vancouver, I have plenty of opportunities to use them correctly.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly inspiring! Can't wait to see photos of the installation in October!
    Someday, I hope to take one of your workshops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Florence is waiting for this kind of art...

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the very inception of these knits...through every individual stencil and dunk in the indigo......they were heading to Italy. Kazuko, (Shu's wife.) took one off my neck yesterday and put it on hers and said, "Five more for the boutique". I replied, "I don't have enough...these are for Italy." The dyeing season for persimmon is over. I need stronger UV light and heat. I am thinking of taking a suitcase of dyeing work with me to Brazil where I will suffer/celebrate my 50th birthday in January. All this for Florence and Pavia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating, creative idea and beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete