Thursday, 26 January 2012

Lynette Anderson San

I was up early in the morning and the thermometer read minus seven. It had snowed a few more centimeters but this was easily shoveled away. Layers are the best way to go with clothing on a trip into Tokyo on a day like this. Leave the heavy leather coat in the jeep and make a mad dash for the train. The heat was on in the Tokyo Dome for the 'Tokyo International Great Quilt Festival'. (Couldn't they come up with a name that slid a little easier off the tongue?) I could swear I heard the old Sesame Street tune, "One of these things is not like the other , one of these things just doesn't belong...." on the PA system as I walked in. Thousands and thousands of quilter women and one rough looking snow shoveler bumbling in.

I was still bundled up toasty warm not quite sure why I was even there. I suppose I wanted to see quilts made with old Japanese textile scraps and there were some antique textile dealers from all over Japan. Great stuff. Always makes me smile. And to check out potential shops that the tour members would be interested in visiting. I brought along a few recent magazine articles about my work to make it easier to approach someone and strike up a conversation. For Japanese I can look a little scary with a beard fresh off the road cleaning crew.

My first stop was at Lynette Anderson's booth. She is beautiful and holding down her fort with her daughter and a Japanese translator. I was not quite in sync with the mood of the of the place, slightly sleepy from the snow and train ride and ten layers of clothes. I was fumbling around in my bag to find magazines and explain what I was doing at a quilt show. My face was red for some reason and then I realized it was partially because I was a walking sauna. Try peeling off a few layers of sweaters and keep a casual conversation going with someone you just met. Suddenly wet sweaty hair stuck to your forehead...
I couldn't find my camera to take a picture of the booth until Lynette reminded me that it was hanging around my neck and not in the bag. Her daughter giggled at my stupid face as I struggled to get it off my neck and take the picture. What a geek. Jeesh.
Look a the expression on their faces....entertained by the bumbling silk farming dork.

This is the same view yesterday morning as the 'Fresh Green' on the right side of the blog.

It snows and it gets shoveled, then it snows again....someone has hit the repeat button.

I have trouble getting links in this blog. I have a feeling it is Japan. Here is Lynette's quilting website.


  1. Bryan, It was so nice to meet you and I am glad that you visited my booth. Hope to visit your farm one day.

  2. Wow, I was intrigued when I read Lynette's blog post that said a Canadian Silk farmer... At first I thought that there was a silk farmer in Canada, ha ha. I'm going to spend some time on your blog looking around. I'm a quilter in New Brunswick, and it's cold here too. I wonder how cold can your silk worms stand. Obviously it doesn't get as cold there, as it does here, does it. Best of luck with your workshop. I'd consider going to that sometime - another year... would take some time to plan.