Friday 15 February 2019

Japanese Traditional Book Binding


A tiny handmade box with a tiny book inside.



I am at a loss for words.
The Present God has graced me with something special.
Last September I ran a Japanese book binding course at the house. A group of ten strangers on my doorstep for ten-days of living together in the old barn. Although the place is huge we eat, indigo dye and work in close quarters. 
Most of the time the human dynamics are very good. We don’t get on each other's nerves. It is a little bit of an orchestra…we sacrifice a bit of our individuality for the benefit of the group. 
I was in rough shape and heading out for intravenous drips every morning and Yamazaki sensei graciously taught the book and box making part of the course where I managed to teach the indigo dyeing part.
The bamboo on the mountainside. The cats and Momo the dog are quiet presences. Steady Hiro in the kitchen keeping an eye on things. Occasionally monkeys scrambling through the green underbrush around the house. 



Throughout the year we had the wettest slushy snow and skin searing heat quieted by sunset indigo washing trips to the river. The sweetest softest green spring days and moody blue/black late autumn skies. 
A lot of variables…along with the sometimes scrambling, slushy, searing, softest, moody temporary human inhabitants of the house.
Kate is from Sydney. Once she arrived and we all get to know each other I saw that she is a very accomplished book maker.(Amongst other things...multi- talented.) I wondered if she was getting anything out of the course. Kind and quiet and talented…humble as they come.
This small book box with a book inside is a mini version of the books we made together.... arrived in the post last week.
Inside are the loveliest watercolors of the the house, the bamboo and of course the ridiculously over photogenic house dog, Momo.
I'm at a loss for words. 
I was able to see again a glimpse of her experience of the workshop.



It is a reward…I sometimes get frustrated with the work. A few times I’ve wanted to call it quits.
The photos people take of the workshop and each other and around the house of the endless amount textile related paraphernalia move me.
When I see that strangers who met at the workshop keep in touch and visit each other….even on different continents….
Makes me feel good. I suppose the workshops can be likened to a magnet. A brief orbit is created. And the larger orbit of the participants sometimes collide.
The orbits often bring students back to the house. 

Thank you otters.
Thank you, Kate. The precious little book will live on the precious-little-things-shelf forever.



5 comments:

  1. oh what a precious little book,a wonderful work of art. As heartwarming as the experiences and memories each of us carries home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful Bryan! Seeing that tiny watercolour of the house brings back a flood of memories from my visit in 2015.
    Methinks it's something I should do again soon. Time to chat with Shirley I think.
    Best wishes to you, Hiro, Momo and the cats. I hope your health is improving

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and thoughtful, what a lovely thing to cherish and remind you of what an impact you have had on so many of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the intravenous drips comment set me in alarm mode. hope all's well by now. take care please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's beautiful! Is that the Kate I know?
    Are you well? IV drips???

    ReplyDelete