Tuesday 26 March 2019

Winter Silence

The blog was quiet and hibernating.

I had the house to myself all winter. Hiro was in Brazil for three and a half months. I went to New Zealand for a trip. I loved it. I kept busy with textile related stuff... I just didn't write about it.

I sat on cold nights and wove the gothic cross alpaca blankets I had warped a year ago while listening to The Brothers Karamazov for the umpteenth time.
There was something wrong with the dent so I bought a new reed and re-sleighed it less densely. It looks great now. My buddy Yumbo came over to build a stone wall behind the pond and tried weaving for the first time.



Whiteboots immediately made the freshly woven blanket his own.



There were a few kilograms of medium dyed madder wool lying around that was not asking to be woven into anything. A few kilograms of madder and a re-mordanting.....



The two working back strap looms were empty and sad upstairs.
I warped them both in a few days and they are so happy to be of use again.














The indigo vats are open for the year! Diana Sanderson from the Silk Weaving Studio in Vancouver was here for a visit and the de-sludging of the sleeping vat.





Tobie and Janie were here for a visit and they managed some gorgeous work in a short time.




We visited Noguchi san for the day.



Cocoons were reeled and silk hankies were made.




There is never enough time. Never. 

I had a few cancellations for ten-day workshops this year. If you are interested. Please get in touch.

Bryan









4 comments:

  1. Another Tobie--fabulous. Also, I really like that silk reeler. Looks like it works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, all that wonderful weaving. I'm just teaching myself backstrap weaving, of course don't have a jibata. The madder wool is beautiful. When are there openings in the workshops - just asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan, the madder dyed wool is beautiful. I can only imagine how it has woven, such depth of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the madder wool. Quite glorious.

    ReplyDelete