Sunday 13 March 2011

Thank you all for your kind words

On Friday I was having a regular weaving indigo open house workshop at my house. The lights dimmed and flashed and went out. I immediately sensed the worse as I know our town's power is supplied by a nuclear power plant in Fukushima. The house then started to roll more than actually shake. I've been through many earthquakes here and this one felt different. Not in size as the epicenter was far north but in quality. I quickly got my three students outside and away from the house. (Thank you Takeshima san for having the presence of mind to switch off the kerosene heater.) Outside the ground rolled and my tea field across the valley actually warped before my eyes.

The power was off for 12 hours. The trains were down and my students stranded in my town. Thank you Ogata san for cheerfully cooking and keeping us as light hearted as possible as news filtered in. We all have friend's and family in the area of the epicenter and in true Japanese form they remained polite and calm.

Now we have the specter of nuclear meltdown only several hundred km away. Not the lightest hearted weekend I've spent. The unmeasurable misery and pain happening only several hours north keeps my own inconvenience in perspective. Just in case, I decided to take a short trip south last night on a late local train. The wind would blow the radioactive cloud out to sea but there is the chance that it could come over my place. I am open to most new experiences but i will pass on this. So I am holed up in a crummy hotel in the Japanese Alps trying to keep up on the unfolding events taking place at the nuclear facilities. This particular facility has had it's management replaced before for faking documents on safety reports. This coupled with a 40 year old 15 cm metal casing holding in all that radiation...as my good friend Luc would say, "Shaitza Pooch"

19 comments:

  1. wish you all a lot of strenght to handle with this awfull situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i am so glad you are fine and taking precautions. i have been steadily "not believing my eyes" as i watch events on bbc via the internet. may you stay well, i hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a frequent visitor but a lurker on this lovely blog, and I thought of you on Friday when the disaster(s)struck. I hope you and your friends are safe and well at this time and that any radiation cloud blows out to sea. Be well, and come back to your textile work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering too how you were, I am glad to hear that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for first hand information. I'm glad you are safe if somewhat shaken. All in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you are ok. I hope nothing worse will happen, Japan is now in everyone's thoughts even here far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. may the individual gods that we each believe in be with all the people of Japan. I know they have courage, are resilient and will persever but this is almost too much to bear. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a difficult situation to comprehend from the US. I can imagine how the good people of Japan are managing. Thankfully NHK is live streaming so we are getting good information. I hope you get home soon and are able to resume your fiber passions. Positive thoughts for you and all friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sending good thoughts your way. glad you are staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're all in our thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad you and the students are safe.
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brian
    Do stay safe and my thoughts are with you and the people of Japan. I can not imagine the horror you are all experiencing. God bless hope you get back home soon. Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for the update glad to hear you're safe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your personal experience in the quake. I'm due in Japan in May with Glennis's group. As far as I know it hasn't been cancel. That the least I'm worry about. I hope you and your neighbors are ok - I'm sending my prayer to everyone in Japan...N

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my thoughts are with you and hope you will be safe..........
    XXXm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stay safe Bryan.. And in touch..can we help you in any
    Way?
    All best,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too have been a frequent lurker of your beautiful blog but have never posted before. I love Japanese textiles and have a dream to come and study with you at some time in the future.
    My daughter is married to a Japanese man and lives in Tokyo with their two young sons. She and the boys are here in New Mexico with me now but our hearts are with the rest of our family in Tokyo and all the people suffering so much in Japan. Our thoughts and prayers are with.
    Take care and be safe,
    Guru Nam Kaur

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Brian
    Do stay safe and my thoughts are with you and the people of Japan. Take care .

    Hasnain Lilani

    ReplyDelete
  19. Take good care Bryan, and I hope you don't have to stay long in that hotel.

    Best,

    Alfred Eberle

    ReplyDelete